Award Amount: 1000 stipend plus room/board and travel support ($250)
Number of Awards: Not Known
Deadline: November 15, 2017, 11:59pm EST
Winner Announcement: Early December 2017
The Alliance of Artists Communities is pleased to announce Creative Access awards are for visual artists and writers.Visual artists and writers living with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) in the United States and Canada can apply. The Alliance’s mission is to advocate for and support artists’ communities, to advance the endeavors of artists.
The Alliance of Artists Communities is an international association of artist residency programs — a diverse field of more than 1,500 organizations worldwide that support artists of any discipline in the development of new creative work.
This scholarship program is applicable for:
- Visual artists and writers living with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) in the United States and Canada.
- Individuals with neurological and functional impairment due to traumatic SCI, spina bifida, degenerative disease primary to the spinal cord (transverse myelitis) or damage to the spinal cord due to tumors and surgery.
- Individuals with spinal dysfunction, paralysis or pain syndromes caused by other disorders (e.g., multiple sclerosis, ALS, Chiari malformation, polio, primary orthopedic disorders and peripheral nerve injury) are not eligible.
Instructions for Applying:
To be applying for the scholarship, the interested candidates may submit their application through the given link: https://artistcommunities.submittable.com/submit/10e54d42-04c5-42c9-816f-d5dba5bc5820/creative-access-residencies-for-visual-artists-writers-with-spinal-cord-injury
If you are interested in the position, your application should include:
- Your residency site preferences (top 3 choices)
- Your scheduling availability for a residency between April-December 2018 (this is to give the residencies a general idea of your seasonal availability; if you don’t know of any scheduling limitations to-date, simply indicate “no preference” or “unknown”)
- A brief statement of eligibility. These fellowships are specifically intended for visual artists and writers living with a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). The application will ask you to please provide a brief description (500 words or less) detailing your Spinal Cord Injury and mobility limitation if any.
- Any special requirements(specific equipment, access to facilities, accessibility, or other needs you might have during a residency)
- Work samples:
VISUAL ARTISTS: You may submit any combination of the following of recent, strong work, not to exceed 5 total work samples:
- Images: up to 5 images (JPG)
- Video: up to 5 video files (MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, WMV)
- Writers: All submissions must be in PDF format (submitted as one single PDF file). Manuscripts must be in a standard typeface (e.g. Times, Palatino, Garamond, Courier, Cambria), minimum 12 point type.
- Poets: please submit a maximum of 10 pages, no more than one poem per page.
- All Other Genres: please submit a maximum of 15 pages. Pages must be double-spaced.
- Translators: please submit both the translation and the original text in a single document no longer than 15 pages; also, please note whether you hold the English rights.
- A 2-8 week residency that must take place between April – December 2018
- A $1000 stipend to offset travel and other costs of the residency
- Room/board and travel support ($250) for a personal assistant/caregiver, if needed
Detailed Information Link:
For more about this program, you can contact the Alliance of Artists Communities at grants-at-artistcommunities.org or 401-351-4320