Award Amount: $1,000
Number of Awards: Not known
Deadline: November 15, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not known
The AAHD Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce the AAHD Scholarship Program, which supports students with disabilities who are pursuing higher education. The program is opento undergraduate students who are enrolled in an accredited United States university, and who plan to pursue undergraduate/graduate studies in the field of public health, health promotion, disability studies, to include disability policy and disability research.
The mission of the American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD) is to contribute to national, state, and local efforts to promote health and wellness for people with disabilities and identify effective intervention strategies that reduce health disparities between people with disabilities and the general population.
- Applicant must be enrolled full time as an undergraduate student and completed one full year of college, and is currently in their 2nd year of study in a program at a college or university pursuing an undergraduate degree or enrolled part time or full time in a graduate school, pursuing a post-graduate degree.
- Preference will be given to students majoring in public health, disability studies, health promotion or a field related to disability and health.
- Preference will be given to students with a history of community service and/or volunteer activities
- Applicant must be a US citizen or legal resident living in the United States and enrolled in an accredited United States university.
- Applicants who have not yet graduated from high school will not be considered.
- High school students entering college in the fall of 2017 are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant must have a disability as defined by the American with Disabilities Act.
Instructions for Applying:
To apply, the applicant can download the application through the given link: https://www.aahd.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/AAHDScholarship2017-18.pdf
- Applicant must provide a Personal Statement (maximum 2 pages, double-spaced), including brief personal history, educational/career goals, extracurricular activities, and reasons why they should be selected by the AAHD Scholarship Committee. This statement must be written solely by the applicant.
- Applicant must provide two (2) Letters of Recommendation (One must be from a teacher or academic advisor). Letters may be sent by U. S. mail or by email attachment and should include the signature of the teacher or advisor, and the name of the student should appear in the subject line of the email.
- Applicant must provide an official copy of college transcript, which should be mailed to AAHD in a sealed envelope.
- Applicant must have a documented disability and provide documentation of their disability from a specialist (physician, educator, et. al).
- Applicant must agree to allow AAHD to use his/her name, photo and/or story in future scholarship materials.
The applicant must attach your application with supporting materials, etc. and email to scholarship-at-aahd.us.
Or Mail documents to:
American Association on Health and Disability
110 N. Washington Street, Suite 328-J
Rockville, MD 20850
- Funds are limited to under $1,000. The AAHD Board of Directors Scholarship Committee will evaluate each of the applicants and make a decision in December of each calendar year.
- The 2017-2018 Scholarship Award will be awarded in late January-early February 2018.
- It is the discretion of the Scholarship Committee to determine how many scholarships will be awarded each year and the amount of each scholarship.
Detailed Information Link: