Title: Coral Rehousing Project Intern
Salary Range: Not Known
Consideration Date: September 24, 2017
The Division of Invertebrate Zoology at the American Museum of Natural History seeks applications to fill a part-time (30 hours per week), 1.3-year internship. The internship is 1-year renewal for a graduate or undergraduate student (or recent graduate) in invertebrate zoology, life sciences, taxonomy, museum studies or related fields. The intern will work with collection management staff to clean, update taxonomic names of, tag, database, and image approximately 3500 pieces of dry coral as part of a project funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions. Since its foundation in 1869, the AMNH has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education, and exhibition.
In order to apply all applicants must:
- Applicants must minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Fine Arts in a related field.
- Applicants must be meticulous and extremely careful, as many of the specimens are now endangered and fragile, and label data must always be associated with the specimens.
- Some pieces are quite heavy and the applicant should be able to lift 25 lbs with relative ease.
- Candidate must know MS Word and Excel exceptionally well, be able to learn other software relatively easily and be able to take reasonably good digital images.
- The applicant must know or be able to learn the idiosyncrasies of taxonomic nomenclature.
- The applicant must be committed to working 30 hours a week, be able to work independently and have good time-management skills.
- Experience in the life sciences, taxonomy, conservation, museum studies will be looked upon favorably.
How to Apply:
If you want to apply for this post, you must go through the given link:
Have the following ready before you complete this application.
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2