Beijing Normal University is one of China’s key institutions of higher learning. The New York Times once described it as “one of the most progressive institutions” in China. Founded in 1902, the BNU is a public research university located in Beijing, China, with a strong emphasis on basic disciplines of the humanities and sciences. Currently, the university offers 55 undergraduate majors, 162 Master’s degree programs, 100 Ph.D. programs, and 18 post-doctoral-research rotating stations.
Beijing Normal University was among the first Chinese institutions to recruit international students. It is particularly popular for its Mandarin Chinese study programs. Among its most prestigious programs is Princeton in Beijing, collaboration with Princeton University in the United States.
- Motto: Learn, so as to instruct others, Act, to serve as a model for all.
- Type: Public
- Established: 1902
- Students: Over 20,000
- Global Score: 58.4
- Location: Beijing, People’s Republic of China
- QS World University Ranking: 252nd, 7th in China
- Academic Ranking of World Universities: 201-300th, 7th-12th in China
- Humanities and Social Sciences overall ranking in China: 3rd
- 2017 Indicator Rankings: Twelve indicators were used to calculate this institution’s overall Best Global Universities rank.
- Beijing Normal University’s current campus was built in 1954.
- The school has 22,000 full-time students, including 8,900 undergraduates, 11,300 graduates and 1,800 long-term international students.
- Regarding international co-operation, the Beijing Normal University is part of a university consortium which offers an Erasmus+ joint master’s degree, a Master in Research and Innovation in Higher Education.
- The university has 55 undergraduate degree programs, 162 master programs, and 100 doctoral programs. The university possesses 74 research laboratories, including 4 National Key Labs, 7 Key Labs of the Ministry of Education, and 5 Key Labs of the Beijing Municipality.
- National Key Laboratories at Beijing Normal University
- National Key Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience and Learning
- National Key Laboratory of Earth Surface Processes and Resource Ecology
- National Key Laboratory of Remote Sensing Science
- National Key Laboratory of Water Environmental simulation
Schools and Departments
- Faculty of Education
- School of Chinese Language and Literature
- School of Law
- School of Economy and Business Administration
- School of Foreign Language & Culture
- School of Life Science
- School of Chemistry
- School of Resources
- School of Geography
- Department of Astronomy
- School of Mathematics
- School of History
- School of Philosophy
- Department of Physics
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Development and Public Policy
- School of Arts and Mass Media
- School of Environment
- School of Sociology
- BNU “Changjiang Scholars” recruitment announcement – http://english.bnu.edu.cn/opportunities/bnulongriverscholar/index.htm
- Beijing Normal University “Oversea Youth High-Level Talents Recruiting Plan” Announcement – http://english.bnu.edu.cn/opportunities/overseayouth/index.htm
- Address: Beijing Normal University, No. 19, XinJieKouWai St., Haidian District, Beijing 100875, P. R. China.
- Phones: BNU telephone directory assistance: 010-58806183, One-stop logistics service hotline: 010-58801111
- Website: http://english.bnu.edu.cn/