Award Amount: Total $2,250
Number of Awards: 6
Deadline: November 1, annually
Winner Announcement: April 15, annually
The Bennington College is delighted to announce the Young Writers Awards to promote excellence in writing at the high school level. The competition is available to those students who are in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades during the academic year. With the competition, the goal of the college is to recognize outstanding writing achievement by high school students.
The Bennington College was established in 1932 as a laboratory to explore new approaches in higher education. It is a private, nonsectarian liberal arts college located in Bennington, Vermont, USA. The college was founded as a women’s college and became co-educational in 1969. It is accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC).
- The students in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades are invited to enter in one of the following categories: poetry (a group of three poems), fiction (a short story or one-act play), or nonfiction (a personal or academic essay).
- Entries from international students—in order to submit online if your high school isn’t in our database, enter N/A in place of the CEEB code for your high school.
Instructions for Applying:
To be applying, the applicant can submit either an online or offline application through the given links:
- Online: https://admissions.bennington.edu/register/youngwriters
- Offline: http://www.bennington.edu/sites/default/files/sources/docs/YW-SubmissionForm17-18.pdf
- Poetry: a group of three poems. Poems must be typed. Each page must clearly show the author’s name.
- Fiction: a short story or one-act play. Short stories must be typed, double-spaced, and fewer than 1500 words. Scripts must be typed, double-spaced, and run no more than 30 minutes (playing time). Each page must clearly show the author’s name.
- Nonfiction: a personal or academic essay.Stories and nonfiction must be typed, double-spaced, and fewer than 1500 words. Each page must clearly show the author’s name.
Note: All entries must be original work and sponsored by a high school teacher. All pages must include the author’s name clearly printed on each page
Enclose the form with your submission, and send it to the given address: Bennington College Young Writers Awards Bennington College, One College Drive, Bennington, VT 05201
- First-place winners in each category (Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction) are awarded a prize of $500 and second-place winners receive $250.
- Winning entries will be published on the Bennington College website at www.bennington.edu/youngwritersawards by April 15.
Detailed Information Link:
If you have any query, contact by a call to Bennington College at 800-833-6845 or email at admissions-at-bennington.edu.