Award Amount: $1,60,300
Number of Awards: Varies
Deadline: Friday, December 1, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not Known
The Smithsonian Institution is glad to announce “The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP)”. Graduate students, predoctoral students, postdoctoral, and senior investigators to conduct independent study or research at one or more of the Smithsonian’s 19 units and research centers are invited to apply. Smithsonian fellowships are opportunities for independent study and research that make use of SI experts, facilities, and collections under the advice of a Smithsonian adviser.
The Institution was founded in 1846 with funds from the Englishman James Smithson (1765–1829) according to his wishes “under the name of the Smithsonian Institution, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.”
This fellowship program is applicable for:
- The fellowship is open to US citizens and non-US citizens.
- Fellows are expected to spend most of their tenure in residence at the Smithsonian, except when arrangements are made for periods of field work or research travel.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have the ability to write and converse fluently in English.
Graduate Student Fellowships
- Students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree-granting institution.
- In order to start a graduate student fellowship, one must 1) have completed at least one full semester of a graduate program or its equivalent and 2) currently be enrolled in a graduate program.
Predoctoral Student Fellowships
- Students must be enrolled at a university as a candidate for the Ph.D. or equivalent.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowships
- The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
Senior Researcher Fellowships
- Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
Instructions for Applying:
You can apply by Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA), the link is: https://solaa.si.edu/solaa/#/public
- Graduate Student Fellowship: $7,500.00 for 10 weeks.
- Predoctoral Fellowship: $36,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: $50,400 annually; research allowance up to $4,000.
- Senior Fellowship: $50,400 annually; research allowance up to $4,000.
- Fellows in earth/planetary sciences and conservatory sciences are eligible to receive up to $5,000.00 over the amounts listed above.
- A maximum research allowance of $4,000 is available.
Detailed Information Link: