The Center for Fiction would like to announce the “Center for Fiction Fellowships” that is generously funded by a grant from the Jerome Foundation. Applicants can be of any age, but must be in the early stages of their careers as fiction writers and will not have had the support needed to achieve major recognition for their work to apply.
The Center for Fiction, founded in 1820 as the Mercantile Library, is the only organization in the United States devoted solely to the vital art of fiction. Its mission is to encourage people to read and value fiction and to support and celebrate its creation and enjoyment.
- Award Amount:$5,000
- Deadline: February 15, 2018
- Winner Announcement: Not known
To be considered for fellowship the candidate must:
- Applicants must be current residents of one of the five boroughs and must remain in New York City for the entire year of the fellowship.
- Students in degree-granting programs are not eligible to apply, even if the focus of the study is not directly related to writing.
- This program supports emerging writers whose work shows promise of excellence.
- Applicants can be of any age, but must be in the early stages of their careers as fiction writers and will not have had the support needed to achieve major recognition for their work.
- Emerging writer who has not yet had a novel or short story collection published by either a major or independent publisher and who is also not currently under contract to a publisher for a work of fiction.
- Eligible applicants may have had stories or novel excerpts published in magazines, literary journals or online, but this is not a requirement.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants who are interested can apply through the given link:
Have the following ready before you complete this application.
- A fiction writing sample, not to exceed 7,500 words, submitted as a double-spaced Word document or PDF.
- A one-page resume
- A grant of $5,000
- The option to engage in a mentorship with a selected freelance editor
- The opportunity to meet with agents who represent new writers
- Free admission to all Center events for one year, including tickets to our First Novel Fete and benefit dinner as space allows
- 30% discount on tuition at select writing workshops at the Center
- Two public readings as part of our annual program of events and inclusion in an anthology distributed to industry professionals
- A professional headshot with a photographer for personal publicity use
Detailed Information Link: