Award Amount: $500 and $1,000
Number of Awards: Not known
Deadline: October 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
Winner Announcement: November 17, 2017
The Council of Mexican Federations in North America (COFEM)’s mission is to empower immigrant communities to be full participants in the social, political, economic, and cultural life of the United States and their home country. That why, with the intention of supporting brilliant students economically disadvantaged, the COFEM and its affiliated federations, as well as sponsoring partners have come together and created the “Sueño Mexico-Americano” program. In order to apply, applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate program at a four-year accredited University or a two-year program at a Community College.The purpose of this scholarship is to promote the importance of superior education among COFEM members and AB 540 students, usually called “dreamers”.
Council of Mexican Federations in North America (COFEM) is a non-profit organization aimed at creating opportunities for Latino Immigrants in North America, with a special focus in California. COFEM was established by a league of organizations comprised of people who share ideas and participate in efforts to improve educational, health, social, and political conditions for Latino immigrants in North America.
To eligible, the applicant must meet all the following:
- Applicants must be considered undocumented or must benefit from AB-540 or DACA. Also, can be a member or be related to a member of a COFEM-affiliated federation or club.
- Must be a full-time student, enrolled in at least 12 units at a 4-year institution or 2-year community college. Proof of admission and registration required.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Demonstrate the need for financial assistance.
- Demonstrate involvement in the community and/or work experience.
- Must attend school in the following counties: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Inland Empire, San Bernardino and Ventura.
- Families of the Board of Directors and/or COFEM staff are not allowed to apply.
- Any student that has demonstrated a commitment to advancing their leadership and professional skills and has complied with the development opportunities at COFEM can apply to this scholarship for a maximum of 4 consecutive years.
- AB-540 / DACA students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Instructions for Applying:
To applying the applicant must download the application form through the given link: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/73be9e_ae565b365cd640289faf77add2df6ad1.pdf
- Complete 2017-2018 applications for FAFSA, DREAM ACT, or BOG waiver and submit proof. (Print last page of application stipulating the expected Family Contribution [EFC]. This is not a condition for funding, but is highly encouraged).
Application packet checklist:
- A copy of the most recent unofficial transcript to verify cumulative GPA.
- Proof of completed 2017-2018 applications for FAFSA, DREAM ACT, or BOG waiver.
- Print and submit the last page of financial aid application stipulating the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- Professional Photograph JPEG (Passport Size).
- Short 3-5 sentences biography.
- Current class schedule (full-time student taking at least 12 units).
- State your complete legal name on every page/document.
- Up to date resume, should demonstrate your community involvement, member associations, and awards you have received.
- Current class schedule.
- One letter of recommendation on official letterhead from a community member, faculty, staff, or organization you belong to.
- One additional letter of recommendation only if you are a member of COFEM’s affiliated federations or organizations. Must be submitted on official letterhead.
- A short 1-2 minute video in which you share with us your talents, passions, future goals. Please be creative.
- Two-page double space personal statement that addresses all the following questions:
- Identify your personal and academic goals, obstacles you have overcome, and/or an event/experience in your life that inspired you to pursue your intended career.
- Why do you feel you should receive this scholarship?
- Explain how do you believe this scholarship will help you contribute to the fulfillment of your higher educational goals?
The complete application with all required material must submit by email to admin-at-cofem.org
Through a fundraising and matching collaborative, this scholarship program seeks to award scholarships of $500 to Community College students and $1,000 to undergraduate students attending four-year colleges or universities.Attend mandatory 2017 Annual Scholarship Reception on Friday, November 17, 2017.
Detailed Information Link:
If you have any further questions can be addressed to ncastaneda-at-cofem.org