The Harvard University is providing you a free online course name as “Data Science: R Basics”. In this programming course, they will be using the R software environment for all their analysis. You will learn R and data analysis techniques simultaneously. You will be introduced with basic R syntax to get you going. However, rather than cover every R skill you need, you introduce just enough so that you can follow along. You will learn the basic building blocks of R data analysis using real-world challenges and data in this first course of the series. This course will start on September 29, 2017.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 2-4 hours per week
- Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
- Institution: Harvard University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on September 29, 2017
- Requirement: Anyone
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
- Mission of University: Harvard University (comprising the undergraduate college, the graduate schools, other academic bodies, research centers and affiliated institutions) does not have a formal mission statement. The mission of HarvardCollege is to educate the citizens and citizen-leaders for our society.
No prior programming experience is needed.
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Data science, also known as data-driven science, is an interdisciplinary field about scientific methods, processes, and systems to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured, similar to data mining.
- Your Career Option: There are lots of interesting career options you can consider after completing the course:
- Data Scientist
- Bioinformatics Data Mining
- Data Scientist III
- Business Data Scientist
- ML Data Scientist
- Machine Learning Scientist – II
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99)
- Official and Verified: Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable: Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator: Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Introduction to the R programming language including basic R syntax
- How to employ different structures for variables, vectors, and arithmetic functions in R
- How to perform operations in R including coercion, sorting, data frame creation, and the pipe command
- How to use R to manipulate data, create plots, and perform basic programming
Who Will You Learn With
- Rafael Irizarry: Rafael Irizarry is a Professor of Biostatistics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and a Professor of Biostatistics and Computational Biology at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. For the past 15 years, Dr. Irizarry’s research has focused on the analysis of genomics data. During this time, he has also has taught several classes, all related to applied statistics.
You can refer these books:
- Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python by Joel Grus
- Practical Data Science with R by Nina Zumel
- Mastering Python for Data Science by Samir Madhavan
- Importance of Course: After completing the course you will understand Using a motivating case study, we ask specific questions related to crime in the United States and provide a relevant data set. You will learn some basic R skills to permit us to answer these questions.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: