Award Amount: $15,000
Number of Awards: Not Known
Deadline: October 18, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not Known
Institute of International Education (IIE) is pleased to announce “A Freeman-ASIA Award” that is designed to support U.S. based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need. Undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.8, pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree (or associate’s degree), at a two-year or a four-year institution of higher education in the United States to apply for the scholarship. The program’s goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.
Institute of International Education (IIE)’s mission is to advance international education and access to education worldwide. An independent not-for-profit founded in 1919, IIE is among the world’s largest and most experienced international education and training organizations.
You are encouraged to apply if you are
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application.
- Must currently receive need-based financial aid or demonstrate a verifiable need for financial assistance to participate in the proposed study abroad program.
- Must be an undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.8, pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree (or associate’s degree), at a two-year or a four-year institution of higher education in the United States.
- Must apply through the U.S. home campus and have at least one term of enrollment remaining at the home institution in the U.S. upon returning from studying abroad in Asia.
- Must have applied or have been accepted to a study abroad based program in: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. A multi-country program is eligible only if the applicant will spend at least 8 weeks in one of the countries stated above and will have intensive language study during that period.
- Must have applied to or have been accepted by a study abroad based program that awards academic credits through the home campus or other U.S. accredited college or university. The proposed length of study in the host country must be a minimum of 8 weeks for a summer term, 10 weeks for a quarter term, and 12 weeks for a semester term.
- Must have little or no previous experience in the country in which he or she plans to study. A summer term applicant must not have spent more than 4 weeks in the proposed country of study within the last 5 years. A semester or an academic year term applicant must not have spent more than 6 weeks in the proposed country of study within the last 5 years.
- Must submit the online Freeman-ASIA Student Impact Survey within one month of returning to the United States and must initiate his/her service project to promote study abroad opportunities in Asia on the college campus and/or in the local community.
- Must submit the Freeman-ASIA Final Service Report on the implementation of his/her service project at the end of the term following his/her return to the United States.
- Must not be a previous Freeman-ASIA award recipient.
Instructions for Applying
You can apply for this scholarship by the given link: https://iie-freeman.embark.com/auth/login
- Summer Award: up to $3,000
- Semester/Quarter Award: up to $5,000
- Academic Year Award: up to $7,000
Detailed Information Link: