Award Amount: $3,700
Number of Awards: Not Known
Deadline: December 15, 2017
Winner Announcement: January 2018
The Historians of Islamic Art Association is now inviting the applications for the “Grabar Travel Grants and Post-doctoral Fellowships”. The grants are open to graduate students and the fellowship is available to scholars of all nationalities. The number and amount of the grants and fellowships will be announced annually in accordance with available funds for applicants.
Established in 1982 as the North American Historians of Islamic Art (NAIA), the organization.It is a private, non-profit, non-political organization whose purpose is to promote the study and teaching of the art.
To eligible, the candidates must meet all the following criteria:
- The applicants must be enrolled as graduate students (doctoral candidates) for Grabar Travel Grant are eligible to apply.
- The applicants must be enrolled as a post-doctoral scholar at an early stage of their careers in advancing their research for Grabar Post-doctoral Fellowship are eligible to apply.
Instructions for Applying:
In order to apply, all candidates will submit in English and must include in a single PDF: Grabar Travel Grant.
- Application cover sheet (all applicants can download through the given link: https://www.historiansofislamicart.org/assets/files/HIAA-Grabar-Post-Doc.pdf)
- A cover letter explaining the applicant’s purpose in participating in the conference, the expected benefits of participation, and an itemized travel budget.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of acceptance from the conference/session organizers.
- Letter of recommendation
- Abstract of the paper to be presented.
For Grabar Post-doctoral Fellowship:
- Application cover sheet(all applicants can download through the given link: https://www.historiansofislamicart.org/assets/files/HIAA-Grabar-Post-Doc.pdf
- Curriculum vitae with contact information.
- Project proposal (maximum 2,000 words) including the following:
- For the residential fellowship: The proposal should outline proposed research or teaching, and identify the host institution. Include a schedule of work and a select bibliography.
- For the publication fellowship: The proposal should describe the additional research required and what impact it will have on the finished project. provide specifics about research location(s) and the resources required. Explain what will be required to turn the dissertation into a publishable work and provide a schedule of work for the entire project, including the fellowship period.
- Budget organized into the following categories:
- Round-trip travel to research location.
- Lodging and subsistence costs for the fellowship period.
- Local transportation and Research expenses such as visas, permits, photocopies, photographs for publication and permissions ($1000 maximum).
- Letter of recommendation.
All application materials with the complete application can be sent: grabar.hiaa-at-gmail.com
The Historians of Islamic Art Association will provide :
- The maximum amount of the award is $700 US for Grabar Travel Grant.
- Grabar Travel Grants must be used within 12 months of the award date.
Grabar Post-doctoral Fellowship funds may be used in one of two ways:
- To spend up to two months in residence as a visiting professor or fellow/research scholar at a university, museum, research institute or similar institution outside their usual country of residence or employment.
- To support additional research to aid in preparing the dissertation for publication.
- The Grabar Post-doctoral Fellowship will provide up to $2000 US per month, for a maximum of two months.
- An additional $1000 may be requested for travel or for supplies.
Detailed Information Link: