Award Amount: $1,500
Number of Awards: Not Known
Deadline: October 31, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not Known
Lee & Low Books is offering Lee & Low Books Award in the honor from the Carle Honors. The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. The award is “inspiring so many people with its dedication to multicultural books and to a new generation of artists and authors who offer children both mirrors and windows to the world.”
Lee & Low Books is the largest multicultural children’s book publisher in the country. They are also one of the few minority-owned publishing companies in the United States, as well as a throwback to what many publishers used to be: independent, generational businesses in which the people running the company has a personal stake in its success.
To be eligible, the student must possess
- The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, and who have not previously had a middle grade or young adult novel published.
- Writers, who have published work in other venues such as children’s magazines or picture books, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are Only un-agented manuscripts will be accepted.
- Work that has been published in its entirety in any format (including online and self-publishing as well as other countries)
- Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to TU BOOKS will not be considered
Instructions for Applying:
Interested applicants who want o apply for the scholarship, you may check the given link:
- Manuscripts should address the needs of children and teens of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another. Themes relating to LGBTQ+ topics or disabilities may also be included.
- Submissions should be full, unagented manuscript or graphic novel script plus synopsis. Manuscripts/scripts should be composed in a clear 12-point font, double-spaced, saved as a Word document, accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any.
- Middle-grade novels are not to exceed 75,000 words in length; young adult novels are not to exceed 95,000 words in length.
- Graphic novels should not exceed 150 scripted pages. Include 6-10 pages of final art samples and optional character sketches in PDF format only if you are an author/illustrator.
- The Award winner receives a cash prize of $1,000 and their standard publication contract, including basic their advance and royalties for a first-time author.
- An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500.
Detailed Information Link: