Award Amount: $2,900
Number of Awards: 6
Deadline: November 10, 2017
Winner Announcement: April 1, 2018
The Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America, Inc. is now sponsoring the Maryknoll Student Essay Contest. The contest is open only to people who are enrolled in grades 6–8 (Division I) and grades 9–12 (Division II) for the 2017-2018 school year. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this contest. Through the program, they are asking students to cite examples of violence and tell what actions they are taking or could take to promote peace.
The Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers (Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America, Inc.) is a tax exempt non-profit organization incorporated in the State of New York.The Mission of the Maryknoll– Go overseas and demonstrate God’slove &mercy to the poor.Maryknoll – the heart and hands of the U.S. Catholic Church’s overseas mission work for more than 100 years – is comprised of four independent organizations.
- Students in grades 6–8 (Division I) and grades 9–12 (Division II) are eligible to enter Maryknoll’s 2017 Student Essay Contest.
- Students must be a resident of one of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, or a province of Canada (except Quebec).
- Children of Maryknoll employees, associates and affiliates are not eligible.
- Online entry is limited to only those entrants who are 13 years old or older at the start of the Entry Period (younger Entrants may submit their essay by mail).
Instructions for Applying:
- In order to apply, the applicant can submit an online application and upload your essay through the given link: https://maryknollsociety.org/publications/essay-contest/enter-online/
- If applicant submits essay by mail, they need to download the contest cover sheet at https://maryknollsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/StudentEssayContest-CoverSheet-2017.pdf
- Essay: All Essays submitted in the Contest must comply with the following guidelines: Entries must be written in English and entries should be 500–750 words
- Contest Cover Sheethttps://maryknollsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/StudentEssayContest-CoverSheet-2017.pdf
Students can mail their handwritten/printed essay (Mailed essays must be accompanied by a completed Contest Cover Sheet in PDF) to:
2017 Student Essay Contest
Division I (or II)
P.O. Box 302
Maryknoll, NY 10545
- A total of Two (2) Grand Prizes, Two (2) Second Place Prizes, and Two (2) Third Place Prizes will be offered (unless Sponsor elects in its discretion to increase the quantity of Grand Prizes offered).
- Each Grand Prize consists of a Cash Award in the amount of $1,000, and each will appear in the May/June 2018 issue of MARYKNOLL magazine.
- Each Second Place Prize consists of a Cash Award in the amount of $300.
- Each Third Place Prize consists of a Cash Award in the amount of $150.
- In addition, all winners will:
- Receive a certificate of merit
- Be published online at MaryknollSociety.org/Winners by April 1, 2018
- Receive a letter of recognition from the superior general of the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers.
Detailed Information Link: