Award Amount: $2,000
Number of Awards: 2
Deadline: November 30, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not known
The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine is pleased to announce the Blake W.H. Smith, Ph.D., Scholarship in memory of Dr. Smith, and to ensure that the goals that were close to his heart can continue to be achieved. The program is open to CHM student, resident or faculty members who are engaged in furthering the goals of primary health care, or community-oriented medical education.
The MSU College of Human Medicine has two four-year campuses—in East Lansing and Grand Rapids respectively—educating a total of 800 students. The department was founded in 1974, with Roy Gerard, MD, as its first chairperson. William C. Wadland, MD, MS, retired as chair in June 2013. Bengt B. Arnetz, MD, Ph.D., MPH, MScEPI, FACOEM became the chair in September of 2015.
- A CHM student, resident, or faculty member (academic/clinical/volunteer) engaged in furthering the goals of primary health care, or community-oriented medical education with an emphasis on international settings or underserved areas and populations in the United States.
- Preference will be given to individuals who are not doing a project in their home country.
Instructions for Applying:
In order to apply, the applicant can download the application, either student or faculty/resident, go through the given link:
- Student – http://chmfamilymedicine.msu.edu/app/uploads/2017/08/Blake-Smith-Scholarship-Application-Student.pdf
- Faculty/Resident – http://chmfamilymedicine.msu.edu/app/uploads/2017/08/Blake-Smith-Scholarship-Application-Faculty_Resident.pdf
The both (Student and Faculty/Resident) applicants must submit all the following:
- A short (1-page) proposal detailing the nature of the experience and stating the educational component and the research or educational outcomes. The proposal must also describe the infrastructure supporting the experience.
- The name and address of a contact person at the site of the experience who will be involved with the project.
- A letter of support from an MSU faculty member who has reviewed and/or helped with planning this project and will verify that the student is in academic good standing.
- If the student is proposing a research project, proof of approval for the project from the Institutional Research Board (IRB) (http://hrpp.msu.edu) will need to be submitted with the MSU faculty member.
- At the conclusion of the experience, submission of a short paper summarizing the experience (including how the experience influenced the recipient: personal growth, career enhancement, scholarly pursuits, etc.) is expected before payment of the stipend is made.
- You will give the Department of Family Medicine permission to share your final paper with the public.
- Students: The name and address of the physician responsible for supervising the experience (if different from the contact person above.)
- Faculty/Resident: The approval of the applicant’s residency director (for residents) or immediate supervisor (for faculty).
The applicant must submit the completed application to Sara Ransom Michigan State University, Dept. of Family Medicine 15 Michigan Street NE, Suite 631D Grand Rapids, MI 49503 Email: sara.ransom-at-hc.msu.edu
- The Blake W.H. Smith, D., Scholarship provides a stipend of at least $1,000.00 for a CHM student, resident, or faculty member.
- The award is a competitive process and can go toward an educational, research, or service experience in primary care between the dates of January 1 – December 31, 2018
Detailed Information Link:
If you have any question, contact: Sara Ransom by phone: (616) 234-2820 or e-mail: sara.ransom-at-hc.msu.edu