The National University of Colombia or Universidad Nacional de Colombia (UNAL) is a public higher education institution in Colombia. The university offers over 400 academic programs of which 95 are undergraduates, 51 Doctoral, 134 Master´s and 125 Specialization which is in all the subject areas (Arts, Agricultural Sciences, Basic and Earth Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Human and Social Sciences, Sciences). Regarding the CIVETS universities, the National University occupied the second place.
The University’s purpose is to increase the knowledge through investigation, to pass on knowledge through education, learning and interaction processes that are related to new national realities, leading the changes that the Superior Education System requires.
The Universidad Nacional de Colombia promotes equal access to the Colombian education system. It provides the largest offering of academic programs and trains competent and socially responsible professionals.
- Established: September 22, 1867
- Motto: Inter-Aulas-Academiæ-Quære-Verum
- Motto in English: Search for the truth among the rooms of the academy
- Type: Public, National
- Global Score: 38.7
- Location: Bogotá, D.C., Cundinamarca, Colombia
Academic (Departments and Programs)
- The National University of Colombia has 20 schools distributed among Bogotá, Medellín, Manizales, and Palmira.
- The university is a member of the Association of Colombian Universities (ASCUN), the Iberoamerican Association of Postgraduate Universities (AUIP), and the Iberoamerican University Network Universia.
- The institution offers a wide selection of programs in both undergraduate and graduate levels, such as medicine, nursing, dentistry, engineering, chemistry, pharmacy, mathematics, physics, geology, biology, psychology, social sciences, arts (music, fine arts), languages, philosophy, and law.
- Approximately 40,000 students are studying for an undergraduate degree and 4,000 for a graduate degree.
- The university is the largest higher education institution in the country with more than 44,000 students, the largest number of graduated professionals per year, and number of academic programs at undergraduate and graduate levels, with 430 academic programs, which includes 96 graduate diplomas, 67 Academic specializations, 39 medical specialties, 161 Master’s degrees, and 58 doctorates.
- The National University of Colombia is widely known as the best Colombian university, and one of the best universities in Latin America, for its high degree of education and research achievement in several rankings of universities in Latin America and around the globe.
2017 Indicator Rankings: Twelve indicators were used to calculate this institution’s overall Best Global Universities rank.
- Add: Carrera 45 # 26-85, Edif. Uriel Gutiérrez, Bogotá DC, Colombia
- Phone: (+57 1) 316 5000
- Website: http://unal.edu.co/