The Sharif University of Technology is one of the biggest engineering universities in Iran, founded in 1966 when it was established. It is commonly known as the “Iranian MIT.” The university also has an international campus in Kish Island, Persian Gulf. It was formerly named the Aryamehr University of Technology and for a short period after the 1979 revolution, the university was called Tehran University of Technology.
Chancellor: Mahmud Fotuhi Firuzabad
Number of Students: 10,251
Aim of University
- To create an organization where students can be instructed in both theoretical and applied sciences, with special emphasis on the particular needs of Islamic society.
- To teach students the advanced knowledge and techniques required to participate in the fields of engineering and technology.
- To educate engineers who are ready to be employed, who contribute significantly to their jobs, and who have a strong sense of public responsibility and a desire to continue to learn.
The university had just 54 members of the faculty and 412 students. It now has more than 10,000 students. It is commonly known as the “Iranian MIT.” Today, the university provides the programs for both undergraduate and graduate in 15 main departments. The student body consists of about 6,000 undergraduate students and 4,700 graduate students from all the 30 provinces of Iran. Funding for Sharif University is provided by the government and through private funding. Undergraduate admission to Sharif is limited to the top 800 of the 500,000 students who pass the national entrance examination administered annually by the Iranian Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology.
Sharif University of Technology: Institute
- Advanced Communications Research Institute (ACRI)
- Electronics Research Institute (ERI)
- Institute for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (INST)
- Institute of Transportation Studies & Research (ITSR)
- Research Institute of Science, Technology & Industry Policy
- Sharif Advanced Technologies Incubator (SATI)
- Sharif Energy Research Institute (SERI)
- Sharif Institute of Economic & Industrial Studies
Sharif University of Technology: Course
- Undergraduate Programs
- BS in Computer Engineering
- BS in Information Technology Engineering
- Graduate Programs
- MS in Computer Engineering-Software
- MS in Computer Engineering-Computer Architecture
- MS in Computer Engineering-Artificial Intelligence
- MS in Information Technology Engineering
In the 2013 Academic Ranking of World Universities Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences rankings, SUT is ranked 5th in the Middle East. It is in the top 251-275 universities in the world and 37th in Asia in the 2014 Times Higher Education World University Rankings. In the 2014 Times Higher Education top 100 for newer universities (less than 50 years old), SUT ranked 1st in the Middle East, 6th in Asia, and 27th in the world.
- Main Campus: The main campus of the university is located in the Tarasht neighborhood, near Azadi Square, Tehran, Iran. It is located close to the Azadi Tower, which is the symbol of Tehran and one of the main transportation hubs. The endowment of Sharif University of Technology has been estimated at around $25 million.
- International Campus: Sharif University also has an International Campus on Kish Island in the Persian Gulf. International Campus of Sharif University of Technology was started in 2005. Today there are two faculties active on this campus: Faculty of Engineering and Science, and Faculty of Management. The campus is currently admitting students for bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degrees in engineering courses and for a master’s degree in management.
- Phone: +98 21 6601 3126
- Address: Tehran, Azadi Avenue، Iran
- Website: http://www.en.sharif.edu/