Award Amount: Grand Prize of $5,500
Number of Awards: 6
Deadline: November 30, 2017, 5:00 PM EST
Winner Announcement: Not known
Smithsonian.com is now accepting submissions from photographers worldwide in the theme of “Natural World,” among other categories. The Grand Prize, Readers’ Choice prize, Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience and Mobile categories are open to photographers who are 18 years old or older.To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2015.
Smithsonian is the official journal published by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. The first issue was published in 1970. Smithsonian magazine and Smithsonian.com place a Smithsonian lens on the world, looking at the topics and subject matters researched, studied and exhibited by the Smithsonian Institution -science, history, art, popular culture and innovation, and chronicling them every day for our diverse readership.
- Photographers who are 18 years old or older are eligible for Grand Prize, Readers’ Choice prize, Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience and Mobile category prizes.
- Individuals affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, including employees, emeriti, Regents, trustees, interns, volunteers, fellows, research associates and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses), and others living in their households, are not eligible for any prize.
- The Smithsonian will determine winners’ eligibility in its sole discretion.
- To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2015.
- Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
- Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
- Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
- People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
- The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage, photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
- Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
- Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Instructions for Applying:
To be applying, the applicant must submit photographs and requested information online through the given link:
Finalists will be asked to submit an original, unedited digital file or an original negative, print or slide.
- Original negatives, prints or slides will be returned to finalists.
- The Smithsonian Institution reserves the right to disqualify incomplete entries and/or contestants who are unable to submit, upon request, a high-resolution photograph of at least 300 dpi at 3,000 pixels on the longest side or an original photo negative, print or slide.
- Mobile photographs are exempt from this size requirement but must be submitted at their highest resolution upon request.
- You may submit no more than 15 photographs per category for a contest total of 90 submissions. In order to be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, edited for the web, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB. You must complete a separate form for each photo submitted.
Eight prizes will be awarded, as follows:
- Grand Prize: $2,500
- Category Winners: The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
- Readers’ Choice: The winner of the online Readers’ Choice award will receive $500.
Detailed Information Link: