Award Amount: $60,000
Number of Awards: 4
Deadline: October 21, 2017
Winner Announcement: Mid-February
The Tampa Bay Times Fund is now offering the Barnes Scholarship to help college-bound teens who are high academic achievers and who have overcome significant obstacles in their lives. The program is open to current high school senior as well as home-schooled students, in the Florida counties of Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco, and Hernando.The program is intended to help a high-achieving, financially needy student afford to attend his or her “dream” college.
The Tampa Bay Times Fund provides philanthropic support for not-for-profit organizations in west-central Florida. The Times has served residents of west-central Florida since 1884. It has had several names over the years: The St. Petersburg Times Scholarship Fund (1991), The St. Petersburg Times Fund Inc. (2003) and now the Tampa Bay Times Fund (2012).
- You must be a current high school senior.
- You must live in Tampa Bay (Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas or Hillsborough counties).
- You must have overcome significant obstacles in life.
- You must be a student with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- You must aspire to attend college outside of Florida.
- Children or resident family members of employees of the Poynter Institute and Times Publishing Co. and its affiliates are not eligible to apply for the Barnes Scholarship.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Preference will be given to students whose parents have not graduated from a college or university.
Instructions for Applying:
In order to apply, the applicant can submit an online application through the given link: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/41283-Tampa-Bay-Times-Fund
- A Resume
- An Essay (500 words minimum and 1,000 maximum): In the essay, describe your greatest obstacle in life and how you have overcome it.
- Each of the four winners is eligible to receive up to $15,000 per year for four years to attend any nationally accredited college or university.
- The scholarship may be used to pay for expenses related to the cost of college attendance.
- The students must be enrolled full-time and remain in good academic standing to continue to receive the scholarship. Winners are selected in mid-February and announced in March each year.
Detailed Information Link:
If you have any question about the scholarships, contact to Nancy Waclawek, scholarship program administrator by email at tbtschls-at-gmail.com