The Federal University of Amazonas is the oldest university located in Manaus, state of Amazonas, Brazil. The university has knowns as the Universidade Federal do Amazonas and UFAM, is a public university and the largest university in the northern region of Brazil. It was founded on January 17, 1909, as the Free University School of Manáos. The school later becoming the University of Manáos, and in June 2002, the school was renamed the Federal University of Amazonas. The university offers a wide array of degrees, with 645 research groups and 65 graduate courses.
- Motto: In Universa Scientia Veritas
- University Type: Public Federal
- Established: 17 January 1909
- Acronym: UFAM
- Academic Staff: 766
- Location: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
- Campus: Suburban
- Admission Rate Range: 40-50%
- Name in Local Language: Universidade Federal do Amazonas
- The UFAM is accredited by Ministério da Educação, Brazil, and affiliated to Conselho de Reitores das Universidades Brasileiras (CRUB), Rede Nacional de Extensão (RENEX).
- There are 20,000-24,999 students studying in various courses offered by the Federal University of Amazonas.
- UFAM (Federal University of Amazonas) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
- UFAM also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sports facilities and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services.
- The admission rate range is 40-50% making this Brazilian higher education organization an averagely selective institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment.
- The Campus of the Federal University of Amazonas (UFAM) covers an area of approximately 600 hectares, containing plateau and shallow areas, with primary forest, secondary forest, campinarana areas and deforested areas with plantations.
- The campus is located in the eastern part of the city of Manaus and is isolated by neighborhoods and avenues around it.
- This institution has also branch campuses in the following location(s): Benjamin Constant, Coari, Humaitá, Itacoatiara, Parintins.
Federal University of Amazonas
Institute of Biological Sciences, Department of Biology
Avenida General Rodrigo Otávio, 3000, Zoology Laboratory
Coroado Zip Code: 69077-000 – Manaus, AM – Brazil
Phone: (92) 36474231