Award Amount: Covers full tuition and fees
Number of Awards: Not known
Deadline: February 28, 2018, at 11:59 p.m.
Winner Announcement: Not known
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is now inviting the applications for the “Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program”. The program is open for those who are currently enrolled or plan to enroll at UMUC with a minimum of 6 credits per term for undergraduate students or 3 credits per term for graduate students. The aim of the scholarship is to honor the unparalleled selflessness and extraordinary commitment of these caregivers.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is a public corporation and charter school system comprising 12 Maryland institutions of higher education. It is the 12th-largest university system in the United States, with over 125,000 undergraduate, 43,000 graduate, and roughly 13,000 combined full-time and part-time faculty.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Applicants must have served or be serving as a volunteer caregiver for a military service member or veteran with a disabling wound, injury, or illness that occurred while on active duty after.
- Applicants must have received a high school diploma or GED.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or plan to enroll, if selected, in a degree or certificate program at UMUC.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 6 credits per term for undergraduate students or 3 credits per term for graduate students during the fall and spring terms.
Instructions for Applying:
To apply, the applicant can submit an online application through the given link:
Applicants are required to provide all of the following documents in order to be considered:
- One document containing short essay responses to all five of the following prompts:
- Describe the circumstances and challenges of your volunteer caregiver role and the condition of the recovering servicemember or veteran you care for. (200 words max).
- Describe your personal, academic, and career achievements to date. (200 words max).
- Describe your extracurricular interests and pursuits and any of your volunteer or community activities. (200 words max).
- Describe what you hope to achieve with this scholarship. How will it help you achieve your goals? How will it help you and your family overcome challenges? (300 words max).
- How will you represent UMUC, the Yellow Ribbon Fund, and the Blewitt Foundation as an alumnus of the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program? (100 words max).
- A signed letter of reference from someone familiar with your circumstances and qualifications.
- Documentation of your volunteer caregiver role including the condition of the recovering servicemember or veteran who you assist.
- Nonmedical attendant orders
- A letter from a nurse case manager
- A letter from a military commander verifying the servicemember or veteran’s need for a caregiver
- A letter from a VA Caregiver Support Program case manager
- Proof of enrollment in the VA Caregiver Support Program, such as a pay stub from the past 60 days or an enrollment letter
All supporting documents and application must be sent to pillarsofstrength-at-umuc.edu
The Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program will cover full tuition, fees, and course-required resources for each term during the academic year.
Detailed Information Link: