Award Amount: $10,000 each
Number of Awards: 2
Deadline: October 8, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not known
The United States Senate Youth Scholarship Program (USSYP) in the state of North Carolina is available that is Sponsored by the United States Senate and Funded by the Hearst Foundation. The USSYP is an educational opportunity open to outstanding high school juniors and seniors who are interested in pursuing careers in public service. The program is committed to preparing young people for citizenship and leadership.
The Hearst Foundation, Inc. was founded by William Randolph Hearst in 1945. In 1948 Hearst established the California Charities Foundations, later renamed The William Randolph Hearst Foundation. The mission of the Hearst Foundations – identify and fund outstanding nonprofits to ensure that people of all backgrounds in the United States have the opportunity to build healthy, productive and inspiring lives.
To apply for the United States Senate Youth Scholarship in the state of North Carolina, a student must be:
- A junior or senior in high school,
- Currently be enrolled in a public, private, or charter school in North Carolina,
- A permanent resident of the United States,
- Have at least one parent or guardian who is a legal resident of North Carolina,
- Serving in an elected or appointed capacity as one of the following:
- Student body president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer;
- Class president, vice-president, secretary, or treasurer;
- Student council representative; or
- Student representative elected or appointed (appointed by a panel, commission, or board) to the district, regional, community, or state-level civic/government or political organization.
- Any eligible high school junior or senior enrolled in a public, private, or public charter school in North Carolina may apply on his/her own initiative.
- Students do not have to wait to be selected or nominated by a school or school official in order to apply for this opportunity in North Carolina.
- A student who graduates or officially completes their high school coursework at the end of the fall semester/quarter is not eligible to apply for the United States Senate Youth Scholarship.
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant may download the application through the given link: http://senateyouthnc.webs.com/ncentryforms.htm
A completed application package includes all the following:
- Application -Form A
- Typed Essay -Form B
- Digital Presentation -Form C
- Two letters of Recommendation (via email)
- One letter from a teacher who has taught you, and
- One letter from the current Sponsor to the Club/Organization you are using to certify you as an eligible candidate for your application
Submission of materials must be done according to the following instructions:
- Applicants must send the hard copy of their application via U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx or another courier service of choice so that it has a postmark that reads on or before October 8, 2017.
- Applicants must email their application, essay, and digital presentation to the email address provided on the application by 11:59 p.m. Sunday night, October 8, 2017. All emails will have an electronic time stamp.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Each of the two winning delegates will be awarded $10,000 undergraduate college Scholarship with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science.
- Winners must attend the entire week in Washington, D.C., in order to receive the scholarship.
- The two winning delegates will represent North Carolina and the U.S. Senators for North Carolina in an intensive educational program during the week-long 56 Annual Washington Week, March 3-10, 2018.
- Two student delegates and a first and second alternate will be selected by a final selection committee at the state level.
Link for More Information: