The University of Ljubljana is the oldest and largest university in Slovenia, was founded on 23 July 1919. It is among the largest universities in Europe with over 63,000 enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. The University of Ljubljana has two university libraries. The National and University Library of Slovenia is the national library of Slovenia and the university library of the University of Ljubljana.
The University of Ljubljana practices research in science and the arts, such as the humanities, social sciences, linguistics, arts, medicine, natural sciences, and technology. The UL encourages interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary study, exchanges results of achievements in science and art with other universities and scientific research institutions.
Mission & Vision
- Mission: The University of Ljubljana implements and promotes basic, applied and developmental research and is pursuing excellence and the highest quality as well as the highest ethical criteria in all scientific fields and art. In these areas of national identity, the University of Ljubljana specifically develops and promotes Slovenian scientific and professional terminology.
- Vision: By 2020, the University of Ljubljana will be recognized as an internationally open and excellent research university, creatively contributing to the quality of life.
- Established: November 18, 1960 (as University of California San Diego)
- University Type: Public, Sea-grant, Space-grant, State (Campus- Urban)
- University Motto: Let there be light [Fiat lux (Latin)]
- Students: 35,816 (Undergraduate- 28,127, Graduate – 7689)
- Acceptance Rate: 34.1% for fall 2017
- Tuition Fees: In-State- $16,183 and Out of State- $44,197
- Rank: 42
- Sporting Affiliations: NCAA Division II – California Collegiate Athletic
- Location: San Diego, California, U.S.
Areas of Studies- Subjects Taught At University of Ljubljana
- Arts & humanities: Architecture, Art, Performing Arts & Design, and History, Philosophy & Theology
- Business & Economics: Business & Management and Economics & Econometrics
- Engineering & technology: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, General Engineering, and Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Physical sciences: Chemistry, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, and Physics & Astronomy
- Social sciences: Communication & Media Studies, Politics & International Studies (incl Development Studies), and Sociology
- Computer Science: Computer Science
- Education: Education
- Law: Law
- Clinical, pre-clinical & health: Medicine & Dentistry, Other Health
- Life sciences: Sports Science and Veterinary Science
Univerza v Ljubljani offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, and associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
- Undergraduate: Pre-Bachelor degrees and Bachelor degree
- Graduate: Master degrees and Doctoral degree
Univerza v Ljubljani also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, sports facilities and/or activities, study abroad and exchange programs, as well as administrative services.
Faculties and Academies
As of 2010, the university has 23 faculties and three academies, situated throughout urban Ljubljana:
- Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film, and Television
- Academy of Fine Arts and Design
- Academy of Music
- Faculty of Administration
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Arts
- Biotechnical Faculty
- Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geodesy
- Faculty of Computer and Information Science
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport
- Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Social work
- Faculty of Sport
- Faculty of Theology (dean: Christian Gostečnik)
- Veterinary Faculty
- Faculty of Health Sciences
Yearly Tuition Range for International Students
International students are welcome to apply for enrollment.
- Undergraduate: 1,000-2,500 US$ (750-1,800 Euro)
- Graduate: 1,000-2,500 US$ (750-1,800 Euro)
For more information about the tuition fees of both students (International and National) check the given link: http://www.ef.uni-lj.si/master_tuition_fee
Kongresni trg 12, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia, Tel: +386 1 241 85 00, Fax: +386 1 241 86 60, Email: rektorat-at-uni-lj.si