Award Amount: $16,500
Number of Awards: Not known
Deadline: November 15, 2017, 5 p.m. CST
Winner Announcement: March 31, 2018
The Harry Ransom Center, at the University of Texas at Austin, invites applications for its 2018–2019 research fellowships named as One- To Three-Month Fellowships, Travel Stipends, and Dissertation Fellowships. The programs are open to scholars of any nationality. One- to three-month fellowships and travel stipends are open to scholars with a Ph.D., and Dissertation fellowships are open to doctoral candidates who engaged in dissertation research by the time of application. The fellowship’s support projects that require substantial on-site use of its collections in all areas of the humanities, including literature, photography, film, art, the performing arts, music, and cultural history.
The Ransom Center is an internationally renowned humanities research library and museum at The University of Texas at Austin. Its extensive collections provide unique insight into the creative process of writers and artists, deepening our understanding and appreciation of literature, photography, film, art, and the performing arts. The mission of the Ransom Center- encourages discovery, inspires creativity, and advances understanding of the humanities for a broad and diverse audience through the preservation and sharing of its extraordinary collections.
To eligible, the applicant must meet all the following criteria:
- The fellowships are open to scholars of any nationality.
- Previous recipients of Ransom Center fellowships are eligible to reapply after two full fellowship cycles have passed.
- One- to three-month fellowships and travel stipends are open to scholars with a Ph.D. or with a substantial record of professional achievement, demonstrated on their curriculum vitae.
- If the Ph.D. is in-progress at the time of application, the proposal and letters of recommendation must clearly indicate completion by June 1, 2018.
- Successful applicants must complete the Ph.D. by this date in order to accept the fellowship.
- Dissertation fellowships are open to doctoral candidates engaged in dissertation research by the time of application.
- Recipients of 2018–2019 fellowships must complete their residencies between June 1, 2018, and August 31, 2019.
How to Apply:
To begin your application for a 2018–2019 fellowship, the applicant can create a fellowship account, submit online application and upload required materials through the given link: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fellowships/application/submit/
- For Applicants: Submit Your Proposal (three-page proposal as a single PDF file)
- For Referees: Submit a Letter of Recommendation (as a PDF file bearing your signature and institutional letterhead)
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Available fellowships include all the following:
- One- To Three-Month Fellowships: $3,500 per month (domestic) and $4,000 per month (international)
- One- to three-month fellowships are available for postdoctoral or independent scholars whose projects require extensive use of the Ransom Center’s collections.
- Travel Stipends: $2,000 (domestic) and $2,500 (international)
- Travel stipends are available for postdoctoral or independent scholars whose projects require less than one month’s use of the Center’s collections.
- Travel stipends may not be combined with other Ransom Center fellowships.
- Dissertation Fellowships: $2,000 (domestic) and $2,500 (international)
- Dissertation fellowships are available for graduate students whose doctoral dissertations require the use of the Center’s collections.
- Fellowship stipends are based on the category of award and the fellowship recipient’s country of residence.
- The international stipend will be awarded to individuals who will travel to the Ransom Center from outside the U.S. and is intended to support international airfare and/or visa-related fees.
- For all award categories, stipends will be issued after the fellow’s arrival to the Ransom Center for his or her residency.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions about the fellowship program or application instructions should be directed to ransomfellowships-at-utexas.edu.