Award Amount:$1,000 to $1,500
Number of Awards: Not known
Deadline: January 15, 2018
Winner Announcement: Not known
At the University of Puget Sound, the Department of Theatre Arts has been offering the Theatre Scholarships to encourage talented and hardworking students to participate in theatre at Puget Sound. In addition, they also offer a limited number of scholarships to sophomores, juniors, and seniors for exceptional academic achievement and outstanding contributions to the theatre program. The program interested in students who can participate in a theatrical activity while also maintaining excellent grade point averages. The program also interested in students who are seeking a well-rounded liberal arts education and a thorough background in all aspects of theatre.
The University of Puget Sound is an independent predominantly residential undergraduate liberal arts college with selected graduate programs building effectively on a liberal arts foundation. The mission of the university is to develop in its student’s capacities for critical analysis, aesthetic appreciation, sound judgment, and apt expression that will sustain a lifetime of intellectual curiosity, active inquiry, and reasoned independence.
- All incoming students (Freshman and Transfer) are eligible to apply
- Students who are seeking a well-rounded liberal arts education
- Students who can participate in theatrical activity
- Continuing sophomore, Junior, and Senior, students are eligible to apply for Course Assistant scholarships for their acting and core classes and Production Support scholarships in costume, dramaturgy, house management/outreach, lighting, research, stage management, sound or props.
Instructions for Applying:
To apply for an incoming student award, the applicants must include the following items and send to the Department of Theatre Arts.
- A one-page resume, detailing your theatrical experience. Be sure to include your name and address and phone number.
- A one-page letter describing your intentions for studying theatre here at Puget Sound – whether you intend to major, minor, or simply participate in co-curricular productions. Also, discuss your reasons for coming to a strong liberal arts university instead of one which offers specialized “Theatre only” training. In this letter, indicate whether you have applied and been accepted to the university. Only those who have a University of Puget Sound application on file may be considered for the scholarship, and only those who have officially been admitted can be offered theatre scholarships.
- A photo (face only).
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or director who can comment on your talent, work ethic, discipline, and ability to maintain good grades while doing theatre work.
- Acting emphasis: video audition required: how to apply: In addition to the four items listed above, a video is required for acting emphasize They accept VHS videotapes or DVDs. Prepare one monologue of no more than three minutes. If you would like, you may also prepare a song of no more than two minutes (optional). Note that we are not interested in a video of the applicant in school/community productions, etc.
- Production emphasis: how to apply: There is no audition video required for those students primarily interested in production areas such as scenery, costumes, dramaturgy, lights, props, sound or stage management. Simply send them all items and add a paragraph to your letter which describes your major contributions to theatre production areas.
The applicants must send required items to:
Department of Theatre Arts
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner St. #1084
Tacoma, WA 98416-1084
Department of Theatre Arts is offering a one-time award of $1,000 to $1,500 to exceptional incoming students.
Detailed Information Link:
If you have any question, call or send them an e-mail, to theatre office coordinator at 253.879.3330 or theatre-at-pugetsound.edu.