Award Amount: Between $50,000 and $60,000
Number of Awards: 14
Deadline: November 7, 2017
Winner Announcement: Not known
The Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States is pleased to announce the Churchill Scholarship. In order to apply, the applicant must be a senior who is enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the Scholarship Program or a student who has graduated from one of those institutions within the past 12 months. The Foundation’s scholarship program offers American citizens of exceptional ability and outstanding achievement the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences at Cambridge.
The Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States is a not-for-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) and is classified as a public charity under sections 509(a)(1) and 179(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code. Established in 1959, the Winston Churchill Foundation was founded by American friends of Churchill, who wanted to fulfill his wish of always having gifted young American graduate students at Churchill College at the University of Cambridge.
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- An applicant for the Churchill Scholarship must be a citizen of the United States, either native born or naturalized, and
- Must be a senior who is enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the Scholarship Program or a student who has graduated from one of those institutions within the past 12 months.
- Upon taking up the Churchill Scholarship, a Churchill Scholar must hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent, and may not have attained a doctorate.
- The Churchill Scholarship is only tenable at Churchill College, so you must put Churchill College as your first choice on the Cambridge application.
- The Scholarship is only for a 1-year Master’s degree, so your application must be for a MPhil or MASt.
How to Apply:
- To apply, the applicant can register and fill out the online application at the given link: http://churchill.usapplications.org/
- If you would like to see what the applications look like, when printed, you can download a copy at http://www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org/publications/ApplicationTemplate.pdf
Request four academic letters of recommendation: print out the form and hand it to your recommendation writers. They must submit their letters of recommendation directly to your institution’s Scholarship Office: http://www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org/publications/RecommendationForm-revMay17.pdf
If you are selected 2 as a nominee by your school, your campus representative will assemble and submit your Churchill Scholarship application packet in pdf format to the Foundation:
- Printed and signed version of the submitted online application
- Correspondence from the Cambridge lab supervisor, where applicable
- Your school’s endorsement letter
- 4 letters of recommendation
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- At least fourteen (14) Churchill Scholarships are offered annually. The Scholarship is tenable from nine to twelve months, in accordance with the academic program.
- The Churchill Scholarship is worth between $50,000 and $60,000, depending on the exchange rate. It covers all University and College fees (currently about $25,000). In addition, Churchill Scholars receive a living allowance, which in 2015-16 is £11,000 if enrolled in a nine-month program, £12,000 if enrolled in a ten- or eleven-month program, and £13,000 if enrolled in a full-year program. They receive an allowance of up to $1,500 for travel to and from the United Kingdom, as well as reimbursement of application fees for a UK visa and health surcharge (currently over $500).
- The Foundation also offers the possibility of a Special Research Grant of up to $2,000. This grant may cover travel for presentations at international conferences, short stays at another university or institute for special research, and other activities.
- Married students should consult with the Foundation about additional support in accordance with the guidelines of the University of Cambridge.
Link for More Information:
All programmatic and technical questions should be addressed to the Foundation. Contact by email at info-at-churchillscholarship.org or call 212-752-3200.